What to pack
What to pack
There are things you should consider bringing from home and others you can purchase here in Tanzania. In generell it is much easier to take things from home. Bed nets are one of the few exemptions – they can easily be found here.
Safari Packing List
- T-shirts, pair of jeans, light trousers, short pants
- Long sleeved lightweight shirt for protection from the sun
- Sweater / jacket and pants for cold temperatures experienced at night and early morning (especially at Ngorongoro crater)
- Swimsuit, light clothes and sandals for the beach/pool
- Sandals for wear during safari
- Lightweight hiking shoes
- Remember: Bring enough clothing for the entire safari as you may not have them washed (most lodges do offer laundry service)
Personal Item Checking List
- Sleeping bag & pad
- Reading glasses (if you wear contacts bring glasses as it can be very dusty or bring an extra pair of contacts)
- Sunscreen / Sun block
- Lip sun block
- Towel for shower, towel for the beach
- Toiletries such as toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo
- Insect repellant
- Camera, 300 mm lens recommended. Extra camera batteries.
- The main electricity supply is 220V,50Hz.
- Plugs are usually the 13-amp 3-pin square (British) type.
- Binoculars (each of our vehicles has 1 binocular)
- Locks for baggage
- Video camera
- Small backpack
- Personal medications
- First Aid Kit
Beach Area Specials
In Zanzibar, please be advised that this area is of Muslim majority. Try to avoid clothes that show much of your bodies, or “skin-tight” clothes unless you are at the beaches.
Mountain Packing List & Tips
- Hikers attempting to reach the summit should be physically fit.
- If you have a sore throat, cold or breathing problems do not go beyond 3000m.
- If you have heart or lung problems do not attempt the mountain at all without consulting your doctor.
- Allow plenty of time for body to acclimatize by ascending slowly.
- Drink 3-4 litres of fluid each day, water is best but fruit juices are good supplement.
Clothing and Gear
- Cotton shorts or cycling type shorts.
- Synthetic T-shirts (x3)
- Shade Hat
- Warm fleece hat or balaclava
- Dark Sunglasses (wraparound)
- Hiking Boots
- Lightweight shoes
- Sleeping bag & Inner sheet
- Thermarest / self inflating mattress
- Water bottle / Hydration system
- Purifying tablets
- Powdered dring, e.g. game or Clifton
- Synthetic Socks – thin & thick paris
- Warm gloves
- Day Pack
- Back Pack for the porters (15kg weight limit)
- Thermal underwear
- Waterproof pants
- Jerseys / Fleece
- Waterproof Jacket
- Lightweight Poncho
- Warm hat
- Small sport towel
- Spare batteries
- Lip Balm
- Personal Toiletries